Nov. 2018 Scholarship News
The PHS Scholarship News is updated monthly with scholarship opportunities for PHS students and is emailed to seniors and posted on the bulletin board outside the Advisement Office. Hard copies are available in the Advisement Office/Career Center. If you have any questions, please stop by the Advisement Office/Career Center, as we are happy to answer them!
The Prudential Spirit of Community Awards Program
- Eligibility: 9th – 12th grade students who have exceptional leadership, community volunteer work where they have made an impact, etc.
- Amount: $1,000 to $5,000
- Application: Apply online at https://spirit.prudential.com/apply/2019
- Deadline: November 6th
Reel Milk Moments Scholarship
- Eligibility: Senior who is planning to attend an in-state university or community college
- Amount: 1st Place: $12,000 2nd Place: $10,000 3rd Place: $8,000
- Application: Apply online https://arizonamilk.org/reel-milk-moments-scholarship-contest/
- Deadline: November 11th
- Eligibility: Seniors who are near the top of their class, active in their school and community, a leader and has financial need
- Amount: $4,000 to $50,000
- Application: For more information and to apply online go to www.enf.elks.org/mvs
- Deadline: November 15th
Fisher & Talwar General Scholarship
- Eligibility: Must be a U.S citizen who is planning to attend college full time and has a 3.0 GPA or higher
- Amount: $1,000
- Application: For more information and to apply online go to https://www.fishertalwar.com/scholarship/
- Deadline: November 15th
Jack Kent Cooke Foundation Scholarship
- Eligibility: Seniors planning to attend a 4-year university, 3.5 GPA or higher, SAT or ACT scores and financial need
- Amount: Up to $40,000 per year
- Application: For more information and to apply online go to www.jkcf.org/cty-college
- Deadline: November 20th
Yavapai Symphony Association
- Eligibility: Seniors pursuing a degree in music performance or music education
- Amount: 2019 to be determined
- Application: For more information and to apply online go to www.yavapaisymphony.org
- Deadline: December 1st priority deadline
February 1st regular deadline
* Be sure to apply early as an audition is required
National Wild Turkey Federation
- Eligibility: Seniors, 3.0 GPA or higher, hold a current hunting license, and current NWTF membership
- Amount: $250, $1,000, and $10,000
- Application: For more information and application go to https://www.nwtf.org/resource-library/detail/scholarship-application
- Deadline: Postmarked by January 1st
- Eligibility: Seniors who have been admitted to the University of Arizona for Fall 2019, 3.75 GPA or higher, and attended an Arizona high school for at least two years preceding admissions to U of A.
- Amount: $12,500 per year for four years
- Application: For more information and to apply online go to https://financialaid.arizona.edu/scholarshipuniverse
- Deadline: January 2019
— 1st generation to attend college (neither parent/stepparent holds a 4 year degree)
— Minimum GPA of a 3.0, SAT score of 1120 or higher or ACT score of 22 or higher
— Demonstrated financial need
— Accepted by one of Arizona’s three in state universities
- Amount: $12,000 per year with international study/travel opportunities
- Application: For more information and to apply online go to http://www.dorrancescholarship.org/
- Deadline: February 6th
Get ready… the Arizona Community Foundation Application will be available in January 2019. The Arizona Community Foundation allows high school seniors throughout Arizona to apply for more than 100 scholarship awards online with one general application.
Get a head start on your essays!
Students will be required to submit 2 essays for the Arizona Community Foundation Scholarship Application.
- Why do you want to get a college education and how will it help you accomplish your career goals? (250 min.-350 word max.)
Students will select one essay to answer from the following (250 word max.):
- You are required to spend the next year of your life in either the past or the future. What year would you travel to and why?
- How has your family background affected the way you see the world?
- Some say social media leaves no room for expressing deep or complex ideas. We challenge you to defy these skeptics by describing yourself as fully and accurately as possible in the 280-character limit of a tweet.
In State Colleges – Scholarship Websites
- ASU http://students.asu.edu/scholarships
- U of A http://financialaid.arizona.edu/types-aid
- NAU http://nau.edu/FinAid/Welcome/
- YC http://www.yc.edu/webtools/apps/financialaid/scholarships/list.asp
- Prescott College: http://www.prescott.edu/apply/financial-aid/scholarships/prescott-college-scholarships/
National Scholarship Websites:
Western Undergraduate Exchange (WUE): http://www.wiche.edu/wue
A program where students can attend participating institutions in other states for reduced tuition. Instead of paying out-of-state tuition, a WUE participant pays the regular in-state tuition plus 50 percent of that amount.
Arizona Community Foundation: https://www.azfoundation.org/scholarships/scholarshipopportunities.aspx
PHS ADVISING WEBSITE: http://phsadvising.wixsite.com/phsadvising
Looking for up-to-date information? Check out the website to find the PHS monthly Scholarship Newsletter, dates/times for college visits, a variety of helpful & printable resources, upcoming testing dates, and the quarterly Advisement Newsletter.
PHS Financial Aid Night
When: Wednesday, November 7th
Where: PHS Library
Time: 5:30pm – 6:30pm
Come learn about FAFSA and other financial aid opportunities from a college representative. Details about financial aid,
scholarships and other tools will be available to help prepare you for college.
Cash for College
When: Monday, December 3rd
Where: Yavapai College
A local scholarship awareness night for students and families to learn about local scholarship opportunities! Plus, learn about
the one scholarship application to fill out to be eligible for over 90 Arizona scholarship opportunities! You won’t want to miss it!