GATE Tips for Parents
School: What to Expect
- Personalized care of each student to encourage optimal growth and achievement
- STEM opportunities EiE - Engineering is Elementary
- Cluster classes – offering higher level thinking skills, creativity, advanced learning with rigor
- Technology – effective adaptive learning programs, research, interest-based projects
- Foreign Language – Learning through Duolingo For Schools
- Educaching – integration of higher math, P.E., and community through geocaching
- Field Trips - Enhancing curriculum, expanding horizons
Tips for Nurturing Gifted Children
- Check out online resources. So much is available to help you understand and recognize the needs of your gifted child.
- Appreciate gifted learners as children. They need love, guidance, and creative pursuits.
- Be your child’s advocate by working together with teachers.
- Model lifelong learning habits.
- Assure your child that being different is okay; appreciate individual differences in others.
Online Resources for Parents of Gifted Children
- www.arizonagifted.org — AAGT Arizona Association for Gifted and Talented
- www.nagc.org — NAGC National Association for Gifted Children
- sengifted.org — SENG Supporting Emotional Needs of the Gifted
- www.hoagiesgifted.org — Hoagies’ Gifted Education Page
CHARACTERISTICS OF GIFTED CHILDREN
- Excellent memory
- Rapid learners
- Large vocabulary
- High energy, alert, likes new challenges
- Sensitive, intuitive, empathetic
- Curious, asks questions
- Diversity of interests, hobbies, and activities
- Ability to conceptualize, analyze, problem solve
- Keen sense of humor