AmeriCorps Job Opening – Attendance Success Coordinator
Prescott Unified School District
Attendance Success Coordinator
Service Location: Prescott, AZ
July 22th, 2019 – July 20th, 2020
I. Organizational Purpose and Background
Prescott Unified School District (PUSD) is a public school district over 100 years old that is committed to “Every Child, Every Day.” During the 2016-2017 school year, PUSD began monitoring students who were chronically absent from school and reaching out to families to address what was keeping students from attending. Trends were noticed, but systems have not been put into place to effectively communicate with these families and address their needs. The AmeriCorps VISTA member at PUSD will build systems that can effectively communicate with households struggling with chronic absence and assist in the implementation of programs and interventions and can address their needs. During the 2019-2020 school year, 2,750 K-8 children will be monitored, 700 chronically absent students will receive follow-up, and 400 will receive specially designed absenteeism interventions such as meetings, restorative circles, and other interventions.
II. Project Focus Areas and Activities
A. Asses previous data trends. The VISTA will assess and organize data collected on chronic absenteeism from 2018-2019 as well as effectiveness of attendance success initiatives.
B. Project development. The VISTA will monitor attendance data and develop guides for PUSD administration use on how to locate data pertaining to chronic absence that can result in targeted interventions. The VISTA will also develop resources for PUSD households that struggle with chronic absenteeism.
C. Recruit and train volunteers. The VISTA will collaborate with Prescott Unified School District’s Volunteer Coordinator to recruit and train “Attendance Success” volunteers on how to provide suffering families from chronic absenteeism with resources.
III. Requirements and Benefits
A. Education, Skills and Abilities
• College Degree required or equivalent experience
• 18 years or older, no upper age limit. All ages are welcome and encouraged to apply
• Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, Publisher, PowerPoint, and Internet-based communications
• Demonstrated ability to work independently and in a team setting in a consistent, energetic, positive manner
• Strong organizational and time management skills
• Group facilitation and public speaking skills
• Strong skills in utilizing social media
• Self-motivated; ability to work with minimal supervision
• Effective problem-solving skills
• Ability and desire to work with a variety of individuals
• Ability to understand “big picture” while completing detail-oriented tasks
• Friendly and effective interpersonal skills
• Consistent and reliable access to a vehicle and possession of valid driver’s license required
B. AmeriCorps VISTA Member Benefits (Full-time)
• Living Allowance – $12,300 for year of service
• Housing Subsidy – $100 per month
• Choice of a $6,095 education award OR a $1,800 cash stipend upon completion of service
• Limited Health Care Benefits
• Relocation allowance (if relocating more than 50 miles to serve)
• Student loan deferment and reimbursement of accrued interest on eligible student loans
• Childcare assistance (if eligible)
• One-year non-competitive eligibility for federal employment following service
• Certificate in Civic Leadership and Service through Prescott College
• Team support
Arizona Serve is committed to implementing inclusive practices in the workplace. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, age, ethnic background, sex, disability, size, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression. Those who have marginalized identities, whether or not those identities provide protected status, are encouraged to apply.
Prescott College is a proud participant in the Employers of National Service initiative. AmeriCorps, Peace Corps, and other national service alumni are encouraged.