Welcome to Prescott Unified School District’s Volunteer Program
Schools are remarkable places where students obtain the academic, social, and emotional learning that helps form their futures. Volunteers are important role models for these young people as they provide a variety of services in the schools.
There are many types of volunteer opportunities available with Prescott Schools, depending on the volunteers’ interests, talents, and available time. The district uses volunteers to assist students with reading and math, in the school nursing office, and in the library. There are volunteer coaches and volunteers who assist teachers and support staff with copying, filing, and other paperwork. Opportunities exist for volunteers to assist with school grounds beautification projects or annual events such as festivals and book fairs.
Prescott Unified School District has three elementary schools, one school with grades 5-6, one middle school, one high school, and an integrated pre-school program. If you are interested in volunteering with the Prescott Unified School District, or would like additional information, please contact Debbie Prieto, Volunteer Coordinator, at 928-445-5400, ext. 140, or Deb.email@example.com.
The PUSD Volunteer Program has created a three-tiered system for identifying volunteer roles and the required levels of application, training and screening. Each level is described below. Please note that paper volunteer applications are no longer accepted.
If you have any questions about a volunteer or a volunteer assignment not described below, please contact the Volunteer Coordinator at 928-445-5400, ext. 140, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Level One Volunteer – No On-line Volunteer Application, Orientation or Fingerprint Clearance Required
- School/District Committee Members – e.g. Partners in Education
- PTO/PTA Parent Activities (excluding overnight Field Trips – see Level Three)
- Booster Club Parent Activities (excluding overnight Field Trips – see Level Three)
- Guest speakers/Presenters in classrooms under the supervision of certified PUSD employee
- Art Docent/Habitat presenters in classrooms under the supervision of a certified PUSD employee
- Special project volunteers who are not working with students and are volunteering outside of regular school hours and under the supervision of a PUSD employee. Examples include school grounds maintenance projects, event set-up and clean-up.
Level Two Volunteer – On-line Volunteer Application Required, Orientation Recommended
- Parent/Legal Guardian volunteering in their own child’s classroom or at their own child’s school event (excluding overnight Field Trips – see Level Three)
- Service Learning Students volunteering in a school, program or district office for the term of their class assignment and under the supervision of a certified PUSD employee (excluding all Field Trips – see Level Three)
Level Three Volunteer – On-line Volunteer Application and Fingerprint Clearance Required, Orientation Recommended
- All volunteers working directly with students or sensitive/confidential materials in a school, program or district office who are not a parent of a current PUSD student
- All Coaching Volunteers including a parent of a current PUSD student
- All volunteers attending an overnight Field Trip including a parent of a current PUSD student
- Art Docents/Habitat Volunteers working during school hours with students present
- Organizations providing mentoring or other services to their assigned youth in PUSD schools (A copy of the organization’s volunteer application and volunteer orientation may be substituted for the PUSD application and orientation).
Current or recently retired PUSD teachers who are volunteering will not be required to attend the Volunteer Orientation.
Prior to beginning their service at a PUSD site, community organizations may be asked to provide documentation to the Volunteer Program regarding the application, orientation and screening process completed by their volunteers. Please refer individuals from those organizations to the PUSD Volunteer Coordinator.
If you are interested in working as a Level Two or Level Three Volunteer, please complete the PUSD Volunteer Program online application.
Volunteering in the schools as a Level Three Volunteer requires fingerprint clearance every four years. Once your online application has been completed, you will be contacted to schedule a fingerprinting appointment or you may contact the Volunteer Coordinator directly. Fingerprinting of volunteers is done at the District Office, located at 146 S. Granite Street. There is no charge to volunteers for fingerprinting.
If you have a current IVP fingerprint clearance card from the Arizona Department of Public Safety, that card may serve as verification of your fingerprint clearance. Please provide a copy of that card to the Volunteer Coordinator.
Training is an important part of preparing our volunteers for their placement in the schools. The 90-minute Volunteer Orientation is recommended of all Level Two and Level Three Volunteers. When you have completed your online volunteer application, you will be contacted and provided with the Volunteer Orientation schedule.
Volunteer Placement Process
The PUSD Volunteer Coordinator works with each volunteer and teacher/staff member to:
- Determine the interests and preferences of each volunteer
- Determine the needs of the teachers/staff who are requesting volunteer assistance
- Match volunteers with assignments
- Follow up with volunteers and staff to determine placement satisfaction
146 S. Granite St. | Prescott AZ 86303
Debbie Prieto, Volunteer Coordinator
928-445-5400, ext. 140