Grades 9, 10, 11 Health/Sex Education
“Choosing the Best – Life, Journey & Soul Mate”
Health/sex education is taught to all students in grades 6-11 who have parent permission to participate. The classes are taught by North Star Youth Partnership’s professional educators who are experienced; fully trained; have fingerprint and background clearance; and are passionate about helping youth. Below is an 8th grade curriculum overview. Copies of detailed lessons are available for review in your school’s front office.
- This is an abstinence focused program, which was approved by the district’s school board.
- The Choosing the Best curricula are researched based, medically accurate, and utilized by thousands of school districts throughout the United States. In addition, the curricula are on the Arizona Department of Education’s approved list of materials for sexuality education.
- Parents will receive a permission slip with dates that will be sent home before classes begin. The slip must be signed and returned to the school before student can participate in classes.
- The classes are approximately 50 minutes each; are taught in eight days for 9th and 10th and five days for 11th grade. Classes usually take the place of science.
- The lessons were written to help teens understand the benefits of abstinence; the risks of sexual activity; how to use refusal skills when facing pressure; and how to make positive and healthy choices.
- Other important and current topics facing our teens today are covered and include: the dangers of pornography; dating violence; alcohol; and social media.
- The classes, with the exception of a few 9th grade classes, are co-ed. The teachers are professionals with teaching experience. Each teacher has fingerprint and background clearance; is fully trained; and is passionate about helping youth.
- All sexual activity is defined, and is done so in medical terms.
- A review of the most common contraceptives and their protection against STDs/HIV and their effectiveness/failure rates. Condoms are not demonstrated or distributed. Due to the varying beliefs in the community, parents/guardians are encouraged to have that discussion if they so choose.
- Medical STD slides are shown in 9th grade.
- We always try to make the learning in our classes as fun as possible through various activities.
We look forward to teaching your child and partnering with you in providing important information to encourage healthy and safe choices. Detailed lessons are available for viewing in your school’s front office.
- 6th Grade Health/Sex Education: “Worth the Wait”
- 7th Grade Health/Sex Education: “Choosing the Best/WAY”
- 8th Grade Health Sex Education: “Choosing the Best/PATH”
Krystal Koons, Health Education Supervisor
email@example.com | 928.708.7268