The Phippen Museum, through a generous grant from the Arizona Community Foundation, is hosting a contest called, Clay Out West, open to all Prescott area Elementary, Middle and High School students interested in trying their hands at clay sculpture. Participants will be introduced to this fascinating medium and provided hands-on workshops and special instruction. They will then be invited to execute a Western-themed sculpture in order to participate in this juried competition.
All students and their guardians will also be invited to a special Open House reception. First-place winners in each age category will be rendered as bronze sculptures by Bronzesmith Fine Art Foundry and Skurja Art Castings, LLC. In addition, all winning entries will receive award certificates and the opportunity to display their artwork in the Phippen.
Sign up for these instructional sessions at the museum: (Please note: students may need more than one to complete their sculpture, but register early as class sizes are limited to 30.)
Elementary and Middle
September 2, 9, & 30 – 10:00 am-12:30 pm
September 2, 9, & 30 – 1:00-4:00 pm
Join us for any or all of these additional open studio sessions:
Sundays, September 3, 10, & 17 – 1:00-4:00 pm
Entry Fee: $10 All materials will be provided by the museum.
- Sculptures should have a Western or Southwestern theme — plant, wildlife or domestic ranch animal, Western artifact or figure.
- Sculpture dimensions should not exceed 5 inch by 5 inch by 5 inch.
- All sculptures to be judged must be in the museum by 4pm on Saturday, September 30th.
- Sculptures will be judged in three age categories:
Elementary (ages 6-10)
Middle (ages 11-13)
Senior High (ages 14-18)
- Judging will be based on creativity and quality of artistic execution.
To enter the competition and participate in these workshops, please call the museum’s Education Coordinator, Neal McEwen, to make a reservation (928)-778-1385.
PHIPPEN MUSEUM 4701 HWY 89 N, PRESCOTT AZ 86301 (928)778-1385 WWW.PHIPPENARTMUSEUM.ORG